Plazuela Machado is one of the oldest in the City of Mazatlan; historical records tell us that it was built in the year of 1837 under the auspices of a rich merchant in silver, cloth and pearls, Don Juan Nepomuceno Machado.
This wealthy merchant when he realized that the construction of the “Olas Altas” dam in the year 1832 had allowed the sea to gain large tracts of land, had the vision of building a very large property that he would later donate to the City with the condition of that there was erected a Public Plaza.
Originally the Plazuela was built an esplanade that was surrounded by 36 majestic stone benches and lush orange trees, this last reason why this place was known for a long time as the “Paseo de los Naranjos”
It was not until the year of 1881 when remodeling work was done, when it was used to add the beautiful kiosk that currently has.
La Plazuela Machado is one of the venues of the carnival celebrations, since year after year a gastronomic sample is held in this place in which the best and most representative restaurants of the locality that offer their best dishes participate.
Also quite regularly there are pictorial exhibitions, book fairs and all kinds of cultural, artistic and political events.